[omniORB] ActiveX

Helge Penne Helge.Penne@datarespons.no
Wed, 08 Sep 1999 10:10:55 +0200

Brecht Vermeulen wrote:

> Helge,
>
> > and it hasn't been a problem to me so far, but it does indicate that they do not
> > use Purify or BoundsChecker themselves, which is something that I find a little
> > scary.
>
> well, in the past there have been some discussions where Sai-Lai shows
> 'they' USE Purify. Check the archives.

Yes, of course we should all check the archives every time we post a message.  ;-)
(I do *not* want to enter into an elaborate discussion on that topic....)

> > On the positive side, I haven't been able to find many "dynamic" memory leaks in
> > omniORB, but I think I recall seeing it leak some memory when it throws
> > exceptions (another indication that they haven't properly tested it for memory
> > leaks).
>
> memory leaks can me described on the mailing lists so that bug fixes are
> possible !

I was very busy looking at another problem at the time, and didn't write the details
down properly. Sorry about that.  I think it was related to a COM_FAILURE exception.
I'll be on the lookout for it in the future.

I'm glad to hear that they use Purify, on hope that the will take the time to make
omniORB clean up properly after itself.  It would make is so much easier for other
people to use the same kind of tools.  I now have to wade through several pages
messages related to memory left behind by omniORB in order to look for my own memory
leaks.  Quite unnecessary and very frustrating.

- Helge