AW: [omniORB] Need more objects on Linux

Sai-Lai Lo S.Lo@uk.research.att.com
07 Sep 1999 14:47:04 +0100

> Ah, but most of my objects are inherently multi-threaded anyway, with an
> extra 3 or 4 threads over and above the CORBA ones. Due to the way
> LinuxThreads works I'll run out of threads way before I run out of
> processes (although I agree that a seperate process per object is rather
> overkill)

Although your objects are multi-threaded, it doesn't mean that you have to
have 3 or 4 threads dedicated to each of them. What are these threads doing
most of the time? I guess they are just block waiting on something to
happen or else where do you find the CPU cycles to serve your thousands of
threads?

I think it may be more suitable to replace your 3 or 4 dedicated threads
per object with 3 or 4 threads serving the thousands of objects. The
threads and the incoming CORBA calls form a producer-consumer relationship.
The CORBA calls produce work for the threads to do.

Sai-Lai

--
Sai-Lai Lo                                   S.Lo@uk.research.att.com
AT&T Laboratories Cambridge           WWW:   http://www.uk.research.att.com