AW: [omniORB] Need more objects on Linux

Nick Brook ncb@adaptivebroadband.com
Tue, 07 Sep 1999 14:34:53 +0100

b.keeping@ic.ac.uk wrote:

> Arno has answered Nick's direct question, which was how to have more
> threads. However, maybe he is not taking the best approach:
>
> > I'm running into a problem with omniORB on Linux. Basically I run each
> > of my main objects in it's own process, and each object has on average 6
> > threads. Since I may want up to 1000 objects concurrently...
>
> Trying to run 1000 processes concurrently is going to give him
> problems anyway! Nick, have you considered trying a coarser
> granularity of processes? My understanding is that each server process
> can call obj_is_ready on a large number of objects, and then make
> (say) a blocking call to impl_is_ready, without a separate thread
> being created for each object UNLESS calls to those objects are
> received concurrently. Would the developers/other wise ones care to
> comment?
>
> Ben Keeping
> Imperial College

Ah, but most of my objects are inherently multi-threaded anyway, with an
extra 3 or 4 threads over and above the CORBA ones. Due to the way
LinuxThreads works I'll run out of threads way before I run out of
processes (although I agree that a seperate process per object is rather
overkill)
--
Nick Brook
Adaptive Broadband