AW: [omniORB] Need more objects on Linux

b.keeping@ic.ac.uk b.keeping@ic.ac.uk
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 14:19:01 +0100

Arno has answered Nick's direct question, which was how to have more
threads. However, maybe he is not taking the best approach:

> I'm running into a problem with omniORB on Linux. Basically I run each
> of my main objects in it's own process, and each object has on average 6
> threads. Since I may want up to 1000 objects concurrently...

Trying to run 1000 processes concurrently is going to give him
problems anyway! Nick, have you considered trying a coarser
granularity of processes? My understanding is that each server process
can call obj_is_ready on a large number of objects, and then make
(say) a blocking call to impl_is_ready, without a separate thread
being created for each object UNLESS calls to those objects are
received concurrently. Would the developers/other wise ones care to
comment?

Ben Keeping
Imperial College