[omniORB] Getting Exception when accessing IFR of Orbix 2.3from omniORB2_2.8pre2

Sai-Lai Lo S.Lo@uk.research.att.com
07 Sep 1999 09:36:38 +0100

It seems to me a futile exercise to try to interoperate with
Orbix. Afterall, Orbix does not even interoperate with OrbixWeb, their own
product.

You best bet is to use another interface repository, I use the IR that
comes with Visibroker for java.

If it is your company's policy to use Orbix, you have to start making noise
with Iona to make it known to them that the state of Orbix is unacceptable.

This is what I guess is happening:

1. The IOR contains a type ID "IDL:IT_Repository:1.0", which is Iona'a own
   invention. The type ID for an OMG IR is "IDL:omg.org/CORBA/Repository:1.0".
   That is alright because omniORB will give it the benefit of doubt and
   create an object reference.

2. When you try to narrow the object reference to a Repository object
   reference. Because the type ID is not what the ORB expected, it contacts
   the IR with the operation _is_a to verify if the object is indeed an
   OMG IR. At this point, my bet is Orbix doesn't know how to deal with
   the _is_a operation or it doesn't know it is supposed to response with
   TRUE. And it throws an UNKNOWN system exception!

Sometimes, it makes you wonder what is the point to pay money for  these
off-the-shelf products when a simple task such as this becomes such a time
consuming exercise...

Sai-Lai

--
Sai-Lai Lo                                   S.Lo@uk.research.att.com