[omniORB] Naming across ORBS

David Riddoch djr@uk.research.att.com
Mon, 6 Sep 1999 15:04:07 +0100 (GMT)

On Mon, 6 Sep 1999, David Hyde wrote:

> Thanks for the promt reply - I've just realised that I probably should have
> told you that I'm working on NT4 with OmniOrb 2.7.1
>
> The answer that you were looking for is:
>
> Type ID: "IDL:omg.org/CORBA/Object:1.0"
> Profiles:
> 1. IIOP 1.0 192.150.198.53 6004 "XPS.........NameServiceRoot."

Herein lies the problem.  This is wrong -- the type id should be:

 "IDL:omg.org/CosNaming/NamingContext:1.0"

Alternatively it could legally be the empty string -- but not what it is.
The CORBA 2.3 spec on page 13.17 (Interoperable Object References: IORs)
says: "A Null TypeID is the only mechanism that can be used to represent
the type CORBA::Object."

Thus the ORB which is exporting this reference is broken.  I'm afraid I
can't think of any easy work-around.  Perhaps you would be better off
using the omniORB naming service, omniNames?

Regards,
David