[omniORB] multiple omniNames instances

Jonathan Gallmeier jonathan@arlut.utexas.edu
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 15:31:17 -0500

I don't know if what I am trying is legal... could someone let me know?

I have two machines, each running a copy of omniNames. I have a client
on one machine
that needs to be able to communicate with a server on another machine.
This client
is running in its own thread. At the client's thread startup, I fake the
command line
arguements with a local char *argv[] array that I fill with
-ORBInitialHost machine.domain
and -ORBInitialPort 12345. I then go ahead and call ORB_init(...) with
the expectation
that the local copy of the naming service will be ignored, and the
naming service on the
other machine will be accessed.

what appears to happen is that the local copy of the naming service is
accessed, even though
I am trying to explicitely use the other machine.

Is this legal corba? Any explanation as to why this does not work?

I actually have a good reason why I want to run omniNames on each
machine... and yes, my code
runs fine when the client and server are running on one machine, or when
only one naming service
is used.

any help would be appreciated. thanks.

jonathan

Jonathan Gallmeier                | We act a though comfort and luxury
were
email : jonathan@arlut.utexas.edu | chief ingredients of happiness, when
all
office: (512) 835-3812            | we really wanted was something to be
FAX   : (512) 835-3808            | excited about. - Anonymous