pluggable GIOP implementations; Was: Re: [omniORB] GIOP and LAPD?

Stefan Seefeld seefelds@MAGELLAN.UMontreal.CA
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 13:34:08 +0000

Jonas Olofsson wrote:

> I am going to develop a CORBA system between a ordinary PC, running NT
> and GSM rbs, an embedded system running a real-time OS called OSE-delta.
> The communication protocol between the two systems is called LAPD, and
> uses the serial port on the PC.
>
> LAPD is a stream-based, connection-oriented reliable protocol. As I
> understand, I should be able to use GIOP, and write my own code to run
> GIOP over LAPD? Is this possible, and how do I do it? How do I do to use
> for example omniORB on the PC, and make that ORB to use GIOP
> instead of IIOP?

To be more general: does omniORB provide functionality to switch between
different GIOP implementations ?
I'm thinking of a way to use mmapped files (or shared memory) as a marshal
buffer for local client/servers. We are writing a windowing system ('Berlin')
and I expect most of the clients to live in the same machine the server runs on.
While I do my best to keep all sensible objects within the server, sometimes
they can't. However, a solution like XSHM as a X protocol extension, where for
example XImages can be exchanged via SHM segments would be *very* useful.
Is this being considered ?

Thanks,	Stefan

PS: Doug Schmidt discussed this so it seems that TAO either already supports
    it or at least will support it in the near future...

Stefan Seefeld
Departement de Physique
Universite de Montreal
email: seefelds@magellan.umontreal.ca