[omniORB] multiple calls to same method

Wed, 13 Oct 1999 17:26:34 +0100

On Wednesday 13 October, "Zurek, Jan" wrote:

> A client calls a method of an server-object. This call is a blocking =
> call
> and takes a while. After approximatily 2 minutes a new (second) thread =
> is
> started and the method is executed again, without a calling object =
> anywhere!

The 2.8.0 release adds call timeouts to remote calls. By default, the
client gives up on a remote call after 60 seconds; the server side
gives up after 90 seconds. When a connection is closed after a
timeout, the client sees a COMM_FAILURE exception. My guess is that
you have a COMM_FAILURE exception handler which is automatically
re-trying the invocations.

You can change the timeout either with the command line arguments
-ORBclientCallTimeOutPeriod and -ORBserverCallTimeOutPeriod, or using
the omniORB::callTimeOutPeriod() call. If you set the timeout to zero,
calls never timeout.