[omniORB] Does omniORB support IP multicast?

Jonathan Gallmeier jonathan@arlut.utexas.edu
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 09:15:06 -0500

Duncan Grisby wrote:

> On Monday 11 October, Jonathan Gallmeier wrote:
>
> > This might be a silly question, but I have not seen any info about this.
> > Does omniORB
> > support (UDP) IP multicast?
>
> No it does not. For normal CORBA requests, multicast would not be
> useful, since a CORBA request has a single target object. Multicast
> could be useful for event or notification services which are layered
> on top of CORBA, but we have no plans to support such things.
>
> What in particular do you wish to achieve?

I'm working on a project where I have one machine generating data that
must be distributed
to N machines equally, as fast as possible using a painfully slow link
(~9600 bps at best).
To make matters worse, the network hardware that controls this slow data
link is arbitrated
such that I am not guaranteed immediate access to the network link. I
would like to avoid
sending the data set N times over the network. What I really want is a
cross between the trader
service and the event service (and a federated name service), I think. I
digress...
This all raised the question as to a typical implementation of the event
service. From what I
have seen, the event service would end up sending my data N times over
this slow network anyway,
hence my original post.

jonathan

<snip>

> Duncan.
>
> --
>  -- Duncan Grisby  \  Research Engineer  --
>   -- AT&T Laboratories Cambridge          --
>    -- http://www.uk.research.att.com/~dpg1 --

Jonathan Gallmeier                | We act a though comfort and luxury
were
email : jonathan@arlut.utexas.edu | chief ingredients of happiness, when
all
office: (512) 835-3812            | we really wanted was something to be
FAX   : (512) 835-3808            | excited about. - Anonymous