[omniORB] backup Naming Service

James M. Moe moe_jim@burr-brown.com
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 09:48:50 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 7 Oct 1999 14:33:05 +0200, jon.kristensen@kongsberg-simrad.com
wrote:

>We thus need two nameservices, one surface and one subsea. These must be
>synchronized initially, and possibly also after the net is reconnected. Any
>hints as to how to do this is most welcome.

    We also have requirements for redundancy and were not happy with
the single point of failure the Naming Service offers.
    One method was to write custom code to handle the synchronization
problems. Ugh.
    Our solution was to dump the Naming service altogether and use LDAP
instead. LDAP has replication capability, can handle disconnection, and
slave servers are updated when re-connection occurs.

>We aslo have to detect when the link is disconnected. The obvious way is to
>handle CORBA exceptions. Is there a better way?

    Easy. You get a COMM_FAILURE exception when that happens.

Jim Moe