[omniORB] debugging with omniORB

Gary D. Duzan gdd0@gte.com
Thu, 07 Oct 1999 13:27:19 -0400

   I've occasionally put breakpoints in exception class constructors
when I have an idea what sort of exception is being thrown but not
where. Most Unixy debuggers should allow this, though it may be a bit
tricky for CORBA excepetions, which are declared by a macro in CORBA.h.
In AIX/xldb, I simply breakpoint the line where the macro is
instantiated, and it works fine. You may need to build a copy of the
ORB with the '-g' flag to catch all the throw points, though.

					Gary Duzan
					GTE Laboratories

In Message <D17005BBAD09D311A5DF00104B6A894C677A@OAK> ,
   dcmay@object-workshops.com wrote:

=>> Any other suggestions on ways to make debugging easier are
=>> most welcomed.
=>
=>This suggestion is platform specific to MS VC++ 5.0 (and probably 6.0):
=>
=>You can also set the MS Developer Studio (debugger) to stop when the
=>exception is being thrown, rather than waiting to try to trace the problem
=>after it is caught. This handy little feature can be accessed from "Debug /
=>Exceptions..." on the MSDev menu. Select the last item in the list of
=>exceptions (e06d7363 Microsoft C++ Exception) and select "Stop Always".
=>Press "Change" or "OK".
=>
=>Voila! the debugger stops at the throw statement.
=>
=>Other debugger environments may also support such behavior.
=>
=>Regards,
=>Dietmar
=>