[omniORB] Object Reference time-out?

Jean-Francois Tremblay Jean-Francois.Tremblay@discreet.com
Tue, 05 Oct 1999 14:14:19 -0400

Hi,

I'm currently trying to hold object reference obtained by translating an
IOR with the usual:

obj = orb->string_to_object( ior );
then
MyObject_var myOb = MyObject::_narrow( obj );

Everything is good up to there. But in my typical usage this object
reference (myOb) may be kept and not use for more than the typical
inactivity timeout (30) and then be used again. To understand OmniORB
and Corba behaviour I started my Corba server with -ORBinConScanPeriod 1
and -ORBoutConScanPeriod 1

I then call a dummy method ping() that return true using the following:
bool success = myOb->ping();

then I wait a few second, to be sure the 1 second delayed would go
through at least 2 times and thus close the connection

then again the same call inside a try block:
try {
   success = myOb->ping();
}
catch( ... ) {
   cerr << "An exception was detected!" << endl;
}

When doing this I get NO exception?!?!?

I have put code in my Corba server implementation so that when the ping
method is called some output is produce. If I remove the sleep between
the 2 pings then I got this message print twice if I active the sleep
between the 2 ping the second don't generate anything (seems like the
server is NOT contacted) BUT there is no exception raised neither??? Am
I missing something trivial abour omniORB or Corba? I would expect the
second call to fail with an exception..

I'm using 7.2.1 on IRIX 6.5.4

Thanks for any help

--
Jean-Francois Tremblay*              |  Discreet*
Software Developer                   |  a division of Autodesk