[omniORB] object keys

David Riddoch djr@uk.research.att.com
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 11:16:51 +0100 (GMT)

Hi Renzo,

omniORB 3 supports the BOA, so you can continue to use 12 byte keys.

If you are going to use the POA, things are a little different.  The key
consists of two parts.

  a)  A part which depends on the name of the POA, and of its parents,
      and whether that POA is transient or persistent.  You cannot change
      (or even access) this part.

  b)  An 'object id' which can be chosen by the system, or you may choose
      your own.  This depends on whether the POA has the SYSTEM_ID or
      USER_ID policy.  It is simply an octet sequence, so if you choose
      you own it will be as long or as short as you choose.

Overall the POA provides some useful facilities for supporting many models
for object lifecycle.  Its far too extensive to explain here, so get a
good book on the subject (like Henning & Vinoski).

Cheers,
David