[omniORB] Finding methods in objects

Stefan Seefeld seefelds@MAGELLAN.UMontreal.CA
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 15:22:13 +0000

Duncan Grisby wrote:

> What you need is an interface repository, a service which permits you
> to query the interfaces of objects. Unfortunately, omniORB doesn't
> have one. You can, however, use the interface repository from another
> ORB (MICO for example) with omniORB.
>
> To find the objects themselves, you can either register them with the
> naming service or come up with your own service.

Hmm, this is probably more a design problem but wouldn't a trader solve
the problem too ? You'd then not query for a method name but for a whole
interface. However, the idea of querying for a method, not an interface
makes me a bit nervous. What does it mean if a given interface says 'yes,
I have a method 'foo'' ? There is no guarantee that it does what you think
it should do. If you query for a given interface you don't take the individual
methods out of their context.

Stefan

Stefan Seefeld
Departement de Physique