[omniORB] Shopping for CORBA ORB and reencounter with The Mys tery

Renny Koshy renny@visualsoft.com
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 11:32:43 -0500

Looking at TAO, and omniORB... isn't it much easier to get up and running on
omniORB?  I didn't even try TAO after reading all the stuff on their site...
Has anyone tried TAO?  I got omniORB compiled, installed, and integrated
into my app in ~ 2-3 hours.

I believe omniORB and TAO have quite different goals.  The omniORB folks at
AT&T basically needed specific set of Corba functionality, for their other
projects.  It turns out that their orb is highly useful in other contexts.
TAO started with different goals, realtime being just one.  That is why
combined effort would probably not happen.

Rob