[omniORB] Shopping for CORBA ORB and reencounter with The Mystery

Rob Cecil rceci@master.adams.com
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 11:15:23 -0500

--------------B51FE1CA4D17654CB8EDE5A3

I believe omniORB and TAO have quite different goals.  The omniORB folks at AT&T basically
needed specific set of Corba functionality, for their other projects.  It turns out that
their orb is highly useful in other contexts.  TAO started with different goals, realtime
being just one.  That is why combined effort would probably not happen.

Rob

--
| Rob Cecil          | Senior Development Engineer                 |
| rceci@adams.com    | Product Development                         |

--------------B51FE1CA4D17654CB8EDE5A3

I&nbsp;believe omniORB and TAO have quite different goals.&nbsp; The omniORB
folks at AT&amp;T&nbsp;basically needed specific set of Corba functionality,
for their other projects.&nbsp; It turns out that their orb is highly useful
in other contexts.&nbsp; TAO started with different goals, realtime being
just one.&nbsp; That is why combined effort would probably not happen.
It had to be easy to
with
didn't include
didn't
and
the choice... one
(patterns
looks
truly, the best
two great projects don't
same goals
but due to
shape it to
> the sum of its
/ academic
corporate /
inflexible
of these seem
of having a
be more likely to contribute
for mere
so volatile.
FAQ in free software
splintered).

<pre>--&nbsp;
| Rob Cecil&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; | Senior Development Engineer&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; |
| rceci@adams.com&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; | Product Development&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; |
| (734) 913-9351&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; | Mechanical Dynamics, Inc. (www.adams.com)&nbsp;&nbsp; |
&nbsp;Modern Quantum Physics has found that the universe is composed of
&nbsp;25% protons, 15% electrons, 15% neutrons, and 45% morons.</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

--------------B51FE1CA4D17654CB8EDE5A3--