[omniORB] Efficiency of omniORB 3.

Thu, 18 Nov 1999 09:51:35 +0000

On Wednesday 17 November, b.keeping@ic.ac.uk wrote:

[...local call overhead in omniORB 3...]

> The property of 2.x which you mention here is rather important to us:
> to be specific, we are currently developing Corba components which
> execute within the same address space for some intensive computations
> -  probably hundreds of calls per second at least.
>
> We haven't yet started trying to use omniORB 3, but could you give a
> little more detail about the additional work per local method
> invocation?

The POA ensures that the semantics of local objects are identical to
those of remote objects. This means that clients can be forwarded to
other objects, objects can be activated on demand and exciting things
like that. Unfortunately, this means that calls to local objects have
to do a bit of mutex locking, etc., to protect against concurrency
problems.

David Riddoch wrote it, so he'll be able to give you more details if
you want them. Are you out there David?...