[omniORB] Requests and Threads

Tue, 16 Nov 1999 18:28:16 +0000

On Tuesday 16 November, "ryan.tecco" wrote:

> All right, I read that over, very enlightening. By one thread per *network
> connection*, what does that mean? When does omniORB2 create a network
> connection between the client and the server? From SLL's description, it
> looks like requests are generated while a client/server connection is
> open.

An omniORB client opens a TCP connection to a server the first time an
operation invocation to that server process is made. After the call
returns, the connection is kept open for a while in case other calls
to the same address space are made. Subsequent calls use the existing
TCP connection. If no calls are made for a while, the connection is
closed.

If a client makes a call to a particular address space, and then
another thread on the same client tries to make another call to the
same address space, before the first one has returned, omniORB opens
another TCP connection.

HTH,