[omniORB] Orbs for Java

Duane Griffin duane@router.econz.co.nz
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 08:31:49 +1300

Alex Agranov wrote:

> Try JacORB.  It's free, fully 2.0 compliant, and comes with a naming service,
> trading service, applet proxy (a la gatekeeper, wonderwall,...), GUIs, and quite
> a few other nice touches.  Performance is on par with the big boys as well...
>
>  http://www.inf.fu-berlin.de/~brose/jacorb/

We are using omniORB on the C++ side and JacORB on the Java side here.
We have found it okay, although we have had a few problems with it. I am
not working on the Java stuff myself so I'm unsure of the details, and
they may have just been due to the implementation of Java on Linux. I
think the worst one was that after a number of failed attempts to
connect to an object were made JacORB would seem to just give up. Future
attempts would always fail, even when they should have succeeded. I'm
not sure if we found the solution to that one, or even if it really was
a JacORB problem, not some subtle bug in our own code.

Cheers,
DUane.