[omniORB] Orbs for Java

KOWING, JEFFREY D. (JSC-ER) jeffrey.d.kowing1@jsc.nasa.gov
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 11:38:32 -0600

Peter Ledbrook writes:

>I'm working on a project which requires Java programs to work with C++
>programs via CORBA. On the C++ side we use omniORB 2.8.0, but we haven't
>decided which ORB to use on the Java side. Does anyone have any
>experience with various java ORBs and how well they interoperate with
>omniORB?

We recently bought an RWI robot that comes with their Mobility software (see
http://www.rwii.com/rwi/software_mobility.html) that uses both omniORB and
jacORB (see http://www.inf.fu-berlin.de/~brose/jacorb/).  The java side is
used to support a gui interface.  The C++ side is used for the onboard robot
control software.  We don't have much experience with the Mobility software
yet, so I can't really say how robustly the ORBs work together, but they
definitely are talking to each other and it does serve as an existence
proof! (Note: the Mobility software we have uses omniORB 2.7.1, and we are
running it on RedHat 6.0 Linux platforms).

-jeff kowing