[omniORB] Starting a CORBA server on a machine with multiple network IP's.

Gary D. Duzan gdd0@gte.com
Wed, 03 Nov 1999 17:36:52 -0500

   As an enhancement, it might be nice to allow OMNIORB_USEHOSTNAME
to be a comma (?) delimited list of addresses and/or hostnames,
resulting in multiple IIOP profiles being added to object references.
It would be a bit bloaty for the IORs, but if I understand the
matter correctly it would allow an ORB to try each one until it
finds one it can use.
   Just a thought...

					Gary Duzan
					GTE Laboratories

In Message <9BF81AC2F664D311A56600A0C9AC979A1A9AD7@gateway.logici.com> ,
   Theo Aukerman <taukerman@logici.com> wrote:

=>When the orb creates a socket, if it does not specify which interface, the
=>TCP stack selects one.  So far I have not figured out how to arrange a
=>specific order.
=>
=>In the past (on other projects) I've added the ability to select which
=>interface to bind to.
=>
=>omniORB supports controlling which interface to bind to using the
=>OMNIORB_USEHOSTNAME environment variable.  You can have the program set the
=>environment variable using _putenv() before calling ORB_init() and/or
=>BOA_init() if you wish.
=>
=>
=>If you need to communicate through all 3 interfaces, things could get a
=>little tricky.  You might be able to accomplish this by having a server on
=>each interface where 2 of the servers simply pass through requests to the
=>3rd which contains the actual implementation.  (Interesting issue, anyone
=>have any other ideas?)
=>
=>
=>Theo