[omniORB] multiple omniNames instances

Bruce Visscher visschb@rjrt.com
Mon, 01 Nov 1999 12:43:12 -0500

Jonathan Gallmeier wrote:

> Bruce,
>
> Does this mean that I can use the genior utility to generate the IORs
> used
> in the rebind_context instead of copying the IORs generated by omniNames
> from
> each machine? What I'm really asking is whether or not the IOR is unique
> for a given
> IP address and port.

Unfortunately, I think the answer here is no.  You would have to cut and
paste the IOR from the other nameserver's config file.  A better way
might be to write a simple program that just spits out the IOR of the
root context.  You could then run this with "-ORBInitialHost host
-ORBIntiailPort port" and pass that to nameclt.   I am not a UNIX guy,
but I think if your root dumper was called "rooter" it would be
something like:

$ nameclt -ORBInitialHost hosta -ORBInitialPort porta 'rooter
-ORBInitialHost hostb -ORBInitialPort portb'

(Or was I supposed to use grave's (`)?) Of course, I'd have to do
something clunkier on VMS :-).  Can someone suggest a better
alternative?

> May I also ask another simple clarification question: In your nameclt
> example, you
> listed:
>
>   nameclt -advanced bind_context foo.names IOR:...
>
> Is the omniNames root context bound as a <machine name>.names context?
> Is foo a machine name
> here or is it otherwise?
>
> again, thanks for your help.

This is completely up to you, but personally, I wouldn't use the host
name (just to keep your CORBA names independent of your DNS names).
That way you could more easily move the server to different node.

Bruce Visscher