[omniORB] omniORB licensing: Too strict for real life?

Helge Penne Helge.Penne@datarespons.no
Thu, 27 May 1999 09:42:28 +0200

We're looking into this at the moment, but the problem is this:

As we're talking about an embedded system, the library will have to include object code
for the libraries of a commercial real time operating system.  I'd be quite surprised
if their licensing terms permitted redistribution of their libraries in linkable
form....
2. The linker for this operating system might not support this kind of library linkage
to the extent necessary (the jury is still out on this).

What it all boils down to is that despite kind suggestions, I still haven't seen a
solution that would permitt us to use omniORB in a legally acceptable way without
distributing full source code for the application, something that is unacceptable to
the owner of the code.

If this is really the case, we'll either have to abandon omniORB or enter into some
kind of license term negotiations.

One of the points that I have been trying to get across is that the LGPL works just
fine for platforms like UNIX and Windows, where dynamic linkage is simple and easy.
For platforms or applications where dynamic linkage is impossible and free source code
is out of the question, it seems to leave you out in the cold if you need to use the
tool toghether with commercial tools.
I don't think the Free Software Foundation or the authors of omniORB had any of this in
mind when they decided on the license terms.

It would simply be to mind numbingly stupid to get stuck in a catch 22 situation like
this due to a legal technicality that none of the license authors probably even were
aware of at the time.

- Helge

--
Helge Penne (helge.penne@datarespons.no)