[omniORB] omniORB licensing: Too strict for real life?

David Riddoch djr@uk.research.att.com
Wed, 26 May 1999 09:31:35 +0100 (GMT)

On Tue, 25 May 1999, Helge Penne wrote:

> One potential problem remains, however: The OS might force us to link statically
> with omniORB, as the support for dynamic link libraries is somewhat limited.  Can
> we still distribute the application without providing application source code or
> complete object files, or will we run into license confilcts in this area too?

Helge,

The situation is that your customer must be able to relink a modified
version of omniORB.  I understand that your problem is that you cannot
distribute other third-party libraries which are part of your system.  All
I can suggest is that you find some way to re-package these libraries and
your object code in a way that makes everyone happy.

Would it be possible to link these libraries with the object code of your
application into a new library?  Then to relink, your customer just has to
link this library and the omniORB library (probably with a dummy object
file which ought to reference main).  I have no idea how to do this -- but
I think it ought to be possible!

David