[omniORB] omniORB licensing: Too strict for real life?

Felix Advantage felixadv@access.net.au
Wed, 26 May 1999 00:01:50 +1000

On Tue, May 25, 1999 at 02:21:19PM +0100, David Riddoch wrote:

> Helge,
>
> I am sorry, but the licence has to stick.  I expect that you have invested
> a significant amount of time developing your application using omniORB, so
> it really would be a shame if you had to stop using it.  I would like to
> suggest an alternative solution:
>
> There is no reason why you can't do your own implementation of the naming
> service.  It is quite a simple specification, so probably less work than
> migrating to an alternative orb.  If your platform/application doesn't
> require a persistent naming service, then it becomes really easy --
> reading and writing the log file is most of the work in omniNames!
>
> I hope this 'solution' is good enough.
> Regards,
> David

Don't forget that for a custom application you don't even need to
implement all of the naming service spec.  There's lots of stuff you
can omit that's probably too general.

You could also try adapting a naming service from other open source
non-Gnu products such as TAO but that might be more work than doing a
little custom job.

--
The Management                    Elektrichore - The muse of
Felix Advantage                              high technology.