[omniORB] omniORB licensing: Too strict for real life?

Bjørn Wennberg bjornw@colargol.idb.hist.no
25 May 1999 11:07:35 +0200

"Helge Penne" <Helge.Penne@datarespons.no> writes:

> I'm wondering if somebody could clarify some issues regarding omniORB
> licensing.
>
> I found the following in the arcives (subject "omniORB questions", date=
> Tue, 15 Jul 1997 14:54:53 +0100, replyer is Sai-Lai Lo):

> > > I'm using omniORB to gain some insights on basic CORBA ORB
> > > infrastructure. After studying your very well structured and modula=
r ORB
> > > architecture I'm considering using omniORB for some prototyping
> > > projects. But before I start my internal "lobbying" I have a couple=
 of
> > > questions:
> >
> > > 1) My understanding of the GNU General Public License vs GNU Librar=
> > > General Public License in omniORB is that we can write CORBA progra=
ms
> > > link it with omniORB.lib and sell it without having to make our sou=
rce
> > > available under GPL (because omniORB.lib is under the GNU library
> > > license). However if we modify or extend the ORB core we have to pr=
ovide
> > > our source modification under GPL. Is this a correct understanding?
> >
> > This is correct.
> >

> When I read the actual GNU Library Public License, things seem a little
> more complicated than this answer could suggest.  Could someone please
> take a good look at the two questions below:

[snip]

> 2. We build a lot of embedded systems at our company.  Most real time
> operating systems support muliple threads, but only a single process pe=
> CPU.  Since it is not acceptable to dedicate a CPU to the Naming Servic=
> alone, it has to be modified slightly and included as part of the
> application that we develop, in order to share a CPU with the
> application.  Would this constitue a "work using the library" or a "wor=
> based on the library" as defined by the GNU Library Public License, and
> how would this affect what we would have to make available to the
> customers (source code, object files, object files for third pary
> libraries, source code for third pary libraries)?

I think in this case you must tell the customer that
1) You can download omniORB from your site OR give him a path to
   where omniORB resides
2) You MUST publish the changes you have made to the naming service
   on your ftp-site or stash in on the/a CD you give to the customer.

Cheers
Bjørn Wennberg       email: bjornw@colargol.idb.hist.no
                        ms: +47 959 92 657