[omniORB] OmniOrb for commercial use

Randy Shoup rshoup@tumbleweed.com
Mon, 10 May 1999 10:14:26 -0700

Phil --

Phil Lewis wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a couple of questions, but first a little background.
>
> I am currently designing a system that is to be installed in fairly high
> volume client server environments, and also in high volume web environments.
>
> I am not yet at a stage in the design whereby I have had to make final
> decisions about the middleware to be used, but this stage is now at least on
> the horizon.
>
> I have been following this list and the OmniOrb web site for a couple of
> months, and would like to know if anyone here has any experience using
> OmniOrb in reall life environments? And if so, what have those experiences
> been?

We have been using omniORB for almost 2 years in our commercial internet
document delivery server (multi-tier distributed web server and
application server, all based on CORBA).  OmniORB performs well, it is
robust, and its quality is extremely high.  When a bug is found, or an
enhancement requested, the open source model brings the resources of the
entire omniORB community to bear.  It is well worth a look.  We have
been very satisfied.

-- Randy
Randy Shoup                                     (650)569-3682
Software Architect                              rshoup@tumbleweed.com
Tumbleweed Software Corporation