[omniORB] OmniOrb for commercial use

Phil Lewis phil@dkmsoft.com
Thu, 6 May 1999 17:09:01 +0100

Hi,

I have a couple of questions, but first a little background.

I am currently designing a system that is to be installed in fairly high
volume client server environments, and also in high volume web environments.

I am not yet at a stage in the design whereby I have had to make final
decisions about the middleware to be used, but this stage is now at least on
the horizon.

I have been following this list and the OmniOrb web site for a couple of
months, and would like to know if anyone here has any experience using
OmniOrb in reall life environments? And if so, what have those experiences
been?

Also, I find the GNU licences very confusing. Much as I support the FSF and
the open source movement, I am in the unfortunate position of working for a
company that charges for its software (that's how we pay the wages of myself
and the other programmers). Does this prohibit me from distributing OmniOrb
to our clients> Or can I still distribute it providing I give adequate
notice/sources etc.?

It seems to me that OmniOrb is a fantastic gift to the community, and I
don't want to unwittingly transgress any intended purpose.

I am particularly interested in hearing about peoples experience with the
ORB on real projects. (Because I may at least use it for development, even
if distribution is not on).

Thanks in advance

Phil Lewis
Senior Developer