[omniORB] How same ORBs communicate?

Philip Lijnzaad lijnzaad@ebi.ac.uk
Thu, 6 May 1999 10:20:11 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 06 May 1999 14:43:48 +0530,
"Arun" == Arun Kumar Sharma <aruns@catsglobal.co.in> writes:

Arun> I have a doubt, IIOP is for communication between ORBs provided by
Arun> different vendors. If two ORBs provided by same vendor want to
Arun> communicate to each other then what protocol do they use, do they
Arun> communicate using IIOP?

they can, but they don't have to. I don't know if the default for most orbs
is to use a proprietary protocol or not.  But it's even niftier than that: an
object reference can contain a number of acceptable protocols, so ORBs can
among themselves negotiate that that they will use a different protocol for
the connection. So without knowing in advance which ORBS are on either end,
you still can end up with a proprietary protocol. I'm not sure this is used
very often, though. Cheers,
                                                                      Philip
--
The mail transport agent is not liable for any coffee stains in this message
Philip Lijnzaad, lijnzaad@ebi.ac.uk | European Bioinformatics Institute