[omniORB] Documentation of _retn() ... where

David Riddoch djr@uk.research.att.com
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 10:40:04 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 26 Mar 1999, Mark Howells wrote:

> I'm sure this must be a FAQ.
>
> Where can I find documentation of the _retn() method.  I assume that this is
> an omni specific feature as I've not found it in any of my references but it
> also doesn't appear in the omni html or pdf docs ... at least not that I can
> find.  Is there a manual somewhere I need to D/L?

It is part of the CORBA 2.2 standard, and so is documented there. CORBA
2.2 adds the following members (or similar) to all T_var types:

  const T_ptr in() const;
  T_ptr& inout();
  T_ptr& out();
  T_ptr _retn();

These correspond to passing arguments with in/inout/out mode, and
returning a value. That is, _retn() returns the value being help by the
_var, and the _var no longer manages the value. It will now contain the
T::_nil() value.

Hope that's clear.
David