[omniORB] MARSHAL Exception with Visibroker/Java and Any

Gary D. Duzan gdd0@gte.com
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 16:27:57 -0500

   I'm seeing a problem when trying to have a Visibroker/Java process
send an Any-encoded struct to an OmniORB process. Running it through
the debugger I'm seeing that it is dying while trying to unmarshall the
typecode. I believe I have all the appropriate patches applied. The
CORBA::MARSHAL exception is being raised in

Typecode_marshaller::unmarshall(MemBufferedStream&,
				TypeCode_offsetTable*).

Some local variable values are tck=0xffffffff, currpos=96, and
offset=-25. It was called by

TypeCode_struct::NP_unmarshallComplexParams(MemBufferedStream&,
					    TypeCode_offsetTable*).

The encoded type is a struct with 9 fields, and it seems to be choking
on the 2nd one. The first two fields are both strings. The name and
typecode for the first seem to be unmarshalled fine, getting a
plt_Simple and CORBA::tk_string in the respective switch blocks, and
while the name of the second is unmarshalled fine, the typecode comes
out as plt_None and 0xffffffff.
   Has anyone else seem anything like this? It could certainly be a
Visibroker/Java problem, but with all the new Any code in 2.7.0, I tend
to suspect OmniORB. We're trying 2.5.0 to see if we can get that to
work, but we haven't finished recompiling yet. Any help getting this to
work would be appreciated.

					Gary Duzan
					GTE Laboratories