[omniORB] OmniORB over ATM

Gary D. Duzan gdd0@gte.com
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 13:39:30 -0400

In Message <E10v2ML-0003dn-00@shallot.uk.research.att.com> ,
   "James M. Moe" <moe_jim@burr-brown.com> wrote:

=>On Fri, 18 Jun 1999 15:21:59 +0200, Basma Driss wrote:
=>
=>>I'm trying to add an ATM transport to the ORB. I have read the papers
=>>about omniTransport "The implementation of a Native ATM Transport for a
=>> [ ... ]
=>
=>    Do you mean ATM as in Asynchronous Transfer Mode? If so, it should
=>be completely transparent to you. ATM is like Ethernet, Token Ring or
=>X.25, a physical transport that lives below the TCPIP level.
=>    If, however, ATM is something else...?

   It is what you think it is, but then again it isn't. ATM provides
its own virtual circuits, so you can skip the overhead of the TCP/IP
stack and protocol. This can buy you a significant speed increase, I'd
imagine, at the cost of having to implement an ATM-specific transport
(to set up the VC, route to it, etc.) in the ORB. You could do the
same for X.25, if you wanted, or even Ethernet or Token Ring if you
only wanted to talk to devices on the local network.

					Gary Duzan
					GTE Laboratories