[omniORB] omniORB interoperable with different versions of itself?

Sai-Lai Lo S.Lo@uk.research.att.com
02 Jun 1999 10:40:26 +0100

> On Monday 31 May, Steve Bowman wrote:
>> We've a concern regarding the upgrade of our products.
>> We have a requirement that our customers are able to upgrade
>> their systems piecemeal, i.e. that they are able to have
>> concurrently running machines with different versions of our
>> product (and hence potentially omniORB). Are there any
>> guarantees regarding the interoperability of different
>> versions of omniORB? Are there any known issues?

In addition to what Duncan have said, there is another issue you should be
aware of.

Before omniORB 2.6.0, an IOR (on the wire representation of an
object reference) which is encoded in IIOP 1.1 or above *would be*
rejected! This is because the original 2.0 spec does not have a clear
statement on how compatibility with later GIOP/IIOP versions should be
done. From 2.6.0 onwards, this is handled correctly.

Although we are moving towards GIOP 1.2, the future omniORB2 versions will
continue to interoperate with older versions. Or else I would be very
disappointed :-) If necessary, there will be a runtime option to restrict
the ORB to use GIOP 1.0 only.

Sai-Lai

--
Sai-Lai Lo                                   S.Lo@uk.research.att.com