[omniORB] MS Visual C++ 6.0

Steven W. Brenneis brennes1@rjrt.com
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 13:09:28 -0400

Janet Truitt wrote:

> Hello,
> I have recently downloaded the latest omniORB for the Win32 platforms.  I am
> currently working in NT and need to build the applications.  Everything
> seems to be working fine except I am getting 25 linking errors.  From
> working with other ORBs, this usually means there are problems with the
> building environment.

It would be helpful if you could provide the specific link errors you
are encountering.

> Below is a list of settings that I have taken care of, please let me know if
> I'm leaving anything out:
>
> Tools -> Options -> Show Directories -> Include files
>         type path to include files
>
> Tools -> Options -> Show Directories -> Library files
>         type path to library files
>
> Project -> Settings -> c/c++ -> Category -> c++ lang
>         tick Enable exception handling to on
>
> Project -> Settings -> c/c++ -> Category -> Code Generation -> use run-time
> lib
>         Multithreaded DLL
>
> Project -> Settings -> c/c++ -> Category -> preprocessor
>         add macros:
>         __WIN32__, __x86__, with NT __NT__, OSVERSION__=4

The actual macro is __OSVERSION=4, but I don't think it is being used
for NT.

> Project -> Settings -> Link -> Input -> Object/Lib modules
>         add libraries:
>         wsock32.lib advapi32.lib omniORB271_rt.lib, omnithread2_rt.lib

You will also need omniDynamic271_rt.lib if your IDL's use any's.

> These are the instructions that I found at
> www.uk.research.att.com/omniORB/omniORB_2.7.1/README_win32.html.
>
> I believe these instructions are for MSVC++ 4.2.  If anyone knows of any
> extra things I need to do for MSVC++ 6.0, I would greatly appreciate the
> information.

These settings don't change between 4.2 and 5.0, I can't speak to 6.0.

Also, if your application is using the debug versions of the DLL's for
MFC or C-runtime and you want to have debugging information available
for the omniORB DLL's,
you will have to use the debug versions of the omniORB DLL's and you
will have to select Debug Multithreaded DLL under code generation.