[omniORB] Curious omniNames Behavior

Bjorn Wennberg bjornw@tihlde.org
14 Jul 1999 10:51:57 +0200

Ken Feuerman <kfeuerma@Adobe.COM> writes:

> Has anyone seen the following:
>
> When I start omniNames a first time, with
>
> omniNames -start 8047
>
> I get some root context IOR printed out to the console.  Then, I start
> omniNames again later, without the -start option, and I get a *different*
> IOR printed out.  This, in spite of the fact that the OMNINAMES_LOGDIR
> environment variable has not changed.
>
> The difference between the two IOR's (as revealed by catior) is in the IP
> address.  In the -start case, the IP address is something reasonable (e.g.,
> 128.101.nnn.nnn), but in the subsequent case, the IP address is 127.0.0.1
> (canonical localhost).  The object key's are *identical*.

If I'm not incorrect - I think that (at least on unix) you
1. start omniNames -start
2. copy that IOR into /etc/omniORB.cfg
3. start omniNames (without start - and it reads the /etc/omniORB.cfg IOR)
4. all other programs started on that machine reads /etc/omniORB.cfg to
   resolve to that object.

I beleave that you will have to do something different on windows nt, such
as setting some registry-variables. But I do think that is documentet in
the various readme-files.

bjornw>