[omniORB] Sequence of Sequence causes client compiler errors!!!

Bruce Visscher bvisscher@mindspring.com
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 00:43:42 -0500

David Morgenlender wrote:

> IAE, I still don't understand why this compiles:
>
>         Tests::TestResultsList* seqResults;
>         INTERFACE_TESTS-> Test(seqResults);
>
> and this does not:
>
>         Tests::TestResultsList seqResults;
>         INTERFACE_TESTS-> Test(&seqResults);
>
> Clearly, they are very different in terms of execution.  But from the
> compilation point of view, in each case the argument is
> "Tests::TestResultsList*".  What am I missing?

The difference is that in the second case, you're binding a temporary to a
non-const reference.  C++ won't let you do that.  In this case for good reason.
You were trying to replace the address of a stack variable with a heap pointer.
Not good at all.

HTH,

Bruce