[omniORB] spawn a server from a server part 2

Ralf Walther rw@neurotec.de
Tue, 26 Jan 99 12:01:00 GMT

Hi CORBAholics,

again on the topic of spawning a new omniORB server from another
omniORB server.
As I've mentioned in my last request, I think I have to close all
omniORB specific file descriptors (fds) after the fork call and
BEFORE the exec call.
That's ok, because after the exec a new server initializes the omniORB
resources
and this could raise problems. (I think this could be done
via setting the close-on-exec flag of every fd, which was opened from the
orb).

BUT, what about the time span between the fork and the closing of
the fds? Is it possible or not, that after the fork, two threads read
concurrently from a fd? If yes, it's in principle possible, that a thread
in
the child process reads some data from a fd and the parent waits for
them ... and wait ...! The data would be lost after the exec. Is this
true?

Are there any mechanisms in omniORB to block all threads for this
very little time, so I've time to close the fds?

What is the general way to spawn a new omniORB server process from
another
server process ??????

I would be very pleased, if anybody could tell me some hints on this
topic.

Thanks in advance

Ralf

rw@neurotec.de