[omniORB] Beginner question connection management

Thomas Bednarz bednarz@smartsol.ch
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 12:09:56 +0100

Hello,

I am new to CORBA and OmniORB, so please forgive my stupid questions.
However I have some experience in writing RPC applications and I am
currently starting porting them to CORBA.

As with my RPC apps I don't like to use any naming services, since every
client knows to which server he needs to talk. The thing is that all Servers
are Win32 services but can be a client or server at the same time (in
different threads inside the service). Additionally some web clients (JAVA
applets or servlets) may also call these Servers.

I have read chapter 7 regarding the connection management, but still a lot
of things remain unclear to me. The problem is, that most of my objects need
to be created dynamically, since they represent some OS and machine specific
operations. As I understand it, I need to implement a factory interface
which then creates, registers and afterwards destroys my objects dynamically
on client requests. Is it correct, that this factory object needs to be
registered with BOA when my server starts?

How do I obtain a reference to this object from a different machine WITHOUT
using the naming service? Do I need to specify -ORBInitialHost and
-ORBInitialPort on the CLIENT and pass the name of the server?

In chapter 4.6 I read that since version 2.6 a bootstrap service is
provided. From reading this I guess this would be a good thing for me to
use. Is it correct that on Solaris I have to provide a cfg file and on NT I
have to key in the data into the registry. Can't I use a cfg file on ALL
platforms? Where must I place this cfg file?

I would greatly appreciate any help that could bring me a few steps further.
Thank you!

Thomas

SMART Solutions AG
Software Engineering & Consulting