[omniORB] Oddities in running OmniOrb client/server

Gary D. Duzan gdd0@gte.com
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 14:12:14 -0500

   Two questions: First, what platform are you working on? Second, are
you running single-threaded or multi-threaded in Orbix? It is certainly
possible for the threaded model in OmniORB to cause strange things to
happen when applied to code written for a single-threaded ORB.

					Gary Duzan
					GTE Laboratories

In Message <9902241817.AA21098@tigris.harlequin.com> ,
   Judy Anderson <yduj@harlequin.com> wrote:

=>So I've been porting a large system from orbix to OmniOrb, and I've
=>run into what appears like in impossible situation.
=>
=>My client makes a few CORBA operation calls to the server.  My server
=>has a large number of debug statements that may or may not be printed
=>depending on the debugging level.  Of course I started it with the
=>debug level very high.  And I was pleased to see that all the CORBA
=>operations were invoked, executed properly, and everything was fine.
=>So of course I tried it with a smaller debug level.  And the whole
=>thing fell over!  It turned out that I was able to raise the debug
=>levels some, and still have it fall over, which was helpful, but when
=>I reviewed the output, I found something very strange: normally my
=>operations print a start and end message.  I found that the operations
=>were only printing the start message.  Then they would print some
=>progress messages, and then the start message for the next operation
=>would be printed, without ever printing the last few progress messages
=>and the end message.  It is as though the client managed to initiate
=>the second operation before the first operation returned.
=>
=>Am I just seeing things?  Can this situation happen in OmniOrb?  The
=>clients don't currently print anything, and I'm definitely going to be
=>changing that, although I concerned that as soon as I have the client
=>print a message when the CORBA call returns, of course it will start
=>working, regardless of the debug level of the server, and of course
=>ideally, the end result is a silent client and silent server.
=>
=>I hate heisenbugs!
=>					Judy Anderson "yduJ"
=>					yduJ@harlequin.com