[omniORB] Oddities in running OmniOrb client/server

Judy Anderson yduj@harlequin.com
Wed, 24 Feb 99 13:17:06 EST

So I've been porting a large system from orbix to OmniOrb, and I've
run into what appears like in impossible situation.

My client makes a few CORBA operation calls to the server.  My server
has a large number of debug statements that may or may not be printed
depending on the debugging level.  Of course I started it with the
debug level very high.  And I was pleased to see that all the CORBA
operations were invoked, executed properly, and everything was fine.
So of course I tried it with a smaller debug level.  And the whole
thing fell over!  It turned out that I was able to raise the debug
levels some, and still have it fall over, which was helpful, but when
I reviewed the output, I found something very strange: normally my
operations print a start and end message.  I found that the operations
were only printing the start message.  Then they would print some
progress messages, and then the start message for the next operation
would be printed, without ever printing the last few progress messages
and the end message.  It is as though the client managed to initiate
the second operation before the first operation returned.

Am I just seeing things?  Can this situation happen in OmniOrb?  The
clients don't currently print anything, and I'm definitely going to be
changing that, although I concerned that as soon as I have the client
print a message when the CORBA call returns, of course it will start
working, regardless of the debug level of the server, and of course
ideally, the end result is a silent client and silent server.

I hate heisenbugs!
					Judy Anderson "yduJ"
					yduJ@harlequin.com
					617-374-2547