[omniORB] IDL Error or MS VC Bug?

Thomas Bednarz bednarz@smartsol.ch
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 17:37:28 +0100

I am using omniOrb 2.6.1 on WindowsNT and I have the following statement in
my IDL file:

	const unsigned long TIMEQ_FOREVER =  0xFFFFFFFF;

This seems to be understood by the IDL compiler. It creates the following
code:

  _CORBA_MODULE_VARINT const CORBA::ULong TIMEQ_FOREVER _init_in_decl_(  =
4294967295 );

Microsoft Visual C++ 5.0 gives me the following error:

D:\Projects\ECHNATON\SAMAgent\SAMAgentServer\..\samagent.hpp(126) : error
C2629: unexpected 'const unsigned long ('

Does anybody know what the problem is? Is hex writing not allowed in IDL?
First I tried the following in IDL:
const unsigned long  TIMEQ_FOREVER  = (unsigned long) -1L;

This was not accepted by IDL so I tried 0xFFFFFFFF which is the same number
and IDL accepts but my compiler does not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thomas
SMART Solutions AG
Software Engineering & Consulting