[omniORB] wchar/wstring support

Bill Janssen janssen@parc.xerox.com
Thu, 4 Feb 1999 16:14:27 PST

Excerpts from ext.omniorb: 3-Feb-99 Re: [omniORB] wchar/wstring..
Sai-Lai Lo@orl.co.uk (2893*)

> 3. Forgive our ignorance with wchar support, We couldn't figure out on
>    unices the proper way of finding the encoding scheme currently in use
>    when the application is running. This is necessary because the ORB is
>    supposed to translate from the on-the-wire encoding to the native
>    encoding automatically. If we do not know what the native encoding is,
>    we do not know how to do the translation. May be you can shed some light
>    on this?

I've been looking into this for years for ILU, and have found no
satisfactory solution.  The language standards leave it up to the
implementation, and offer no portable means of determining the codeset.
It's driving me nuts.

Bill