[omniORB] Conflict with other ORBs?

Brent Fulgham brent.fulgham@xpsystems.com
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 11:42:30 -0800

[ ... omniorb in the background seems to die when
GNOME is running ...]

> The ORBs should not be visible to each other unless they are
> explicitly introduced by passing an IOR between them. Unless ORBit is
> maliciously looking for and killing omniNames, it should never see
> it. Maybe you could try running omniNames in a console, rather than in
> the background, to see if it prints anything meaningful when it dies.

I tried this experiment, but it did not reveal too much.  One interesting
note is that omniorb does not die when GNOME starts, or even once I've
accessed GNOME applications (running with Gnorba).

However, if I terminate X (CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE) omniorb gets killed
along with everything running under X.  I don't think this is the
only case where omniorb gets killed, because I have experienced
omniorb stopping even when I have not terminated X.

Could signals meant for Gnorba to instruct it to shut down somehow
get passed to OmniORB?  There are no interesting messages printed
on the console...

-Brent