[omniORB] FreeBSD and omniORBpy

Tue, 14 Dec 1999 10:41:15 +0000

On Friday 10 December, Brad Chapman wrote:

> In order to build omniORB, I followed the omniORB 2.7.1 and FreeBSD
> 3.2 directions with the following changes to x86_freebsd_3.2.mk:

Is anyone successfully using omniORB 2.8.0 on FreeBSD?  If so, what
did you need to do to compile it?

> 1. I uncommented the relevant parts at the end to get static linking
> (I didn't want to do this, but I couldn't get it to build
> otherwise).

What problems did you have with dynamic linking?  I'd be surprised if
you can successfully build omniORBpy without working dynamic linking.

[...]

> When I tried to build the
> examples to test everything, I did the following:
>
> 1. Manually built the
> .hh files by running omniidl2 in each directory

Why did you manually build the stubs rather than letting the makefiles
do it?

> 2. Tried "gmake all" in the
> main examples directory.

> + g++295 -pthread -s -o eg1 -O2 -Wall -Wno-unused
> -L../../../lib/x86_freebsd_3.2 eg1.o -Wl,-Bstatic -lomniORB2
> -lomniDynamic2 -ltcpwrapGK -lomnithread -Wl,-Bdynamic

> eg1.o(.text+0x23): undefined reference to
> `Echo::_narrow(CORBA::Object *)'

The link line doesn't link with echoSK.o, which is why you got lots of
errors about undefined references. I don't know why the make files
aren't doing the right thing.

> Running gmake export on the omniORBpy distribution (just cvsed
> today) gave the following:

> cexp.y:688: `SIZEOF_UNSIGNED_CHAR' undeclared (first use

You need to edit cccp/config.h to add a FreeBSD configuration file. It
will probably be the same as config-linux.h.

HTH,