[omniORB] "Permanent Connections with Omni..."

Andrew Weaver Andrew.Weaver@tecnomen.fi
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 14:30:02 +0200

Moi, I am fairly new to the CORBA world although I have extensive experience
in the design and implementation of distributed systems in a heterogeneous
hardware environment and have previously developed various network-based
"services" that have similarities with, for instance, the Naming Service.

Whilst I can see the role of the ORB as an rpc mechanism, I am looking to
see if I can leverage some of the CORBA aspects to achieve more of a
"transfer" function.

So far, I can imagine that I could use the naming service to locate my
"provider". Thereafter, I want to establish connection and request something
similar to a download. The circuit must remain open until I decide that I am
finished with it because the "download" may well consist of more than one
block of transfer.

Anybody done this or similar using OMNI?

Kind Regards

Andy Weaver