[omniORB] solution for problems compiling projects using msdevstudio 6

Andrew Stitcher astitcher@orchestream.com
Tue, 07 Dec 1999 16:30:25 +0000

[This info is a bit hazy in my head, but I think the guts are right]

By default when using the Microsoft compilation tool chain here is
what happens:

If you specify an import library in the link line (even if you don't
use any of the symbols from the corresponding dll) the executable
that is generated is marked as using the dll. For normal (debugging)
builds I don't think you can avoid this, if you don't want a dll
don't include the import library.

If you specify the "Minimize Size" optimisation, this enables
function level linking. This causes the linker to notice which
functions are being used or not and not to link in the ones that
aren't. As a side effect the linker will notice if any of the
specified dlls aren't actually being used, print a warning message
and take it out of the executable.

Incidently, the "Minimise size" optimisation is recomended for
release builds over the speed optimising setting.

Andrew