[omniORB] omniNames and libstdc++.so.2.9 on RedHat 6.0

Mon, 06 Dec 1999 11:45:14 +0000

On Monday 6 December, Wil_Evers@doosys.com wrote:

> > You should compile omniORB with the latest version of gcc,
> > which is 2.95.2.
>
> Does that mean there is no official support for the compiler that comes
> standard with RedHat 6.0, which is a costimized version of egcs-1.1.2?

omniORB works fine with egcs, provided the compiler is configured with
--enable-threads. I don't know whether the one which comes with RH6.0
is or not. If you use a compiler which is configured incorrectly, you
see occasional random crashes due to incorrect exception handling.

> If so, I'd expect problems when linking with commercial third-party
> libraries for which the sources are not available.  Most likely,
> these libraries will target the compiler that's included in the
> official RedHat distribution.

If RedHat's compiler is configured incorrectly, I imagine that any
library problems would be overcome by building your own version of
egcs-1.1.2 which was correctly configured.