[omniORB] nagging questions

Chung, David David.Chung@USPTO.GOV
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 09:24:18 -0400

	I was wondering for a while ...

	Even though I have looked at the home page for omniORB, I do not yet
understand the nature and the scope of resources dedicated to developing
omniORB at the AT&T lab in UK.  AT&T is allocating expensive resources to
this project, so it only makes sense to me that one day, some high level
manager at AT&T will eventually consider the return on their investment.
What IS the return on their investment?  Is omniORB ultimately for AT&T's
internal use?  Is omniORB available to the public as "side effect"?  Does
AT&T intend to, eventually, make the omniORB commercial? -- I hope not, at
least not on per deployment copy basis.

	It seems that soon or later omniORB will comply with all the
requirements of CORBA spec 2.3 -- What next?  Will you guys be still around
to do more work on omniORB (java bindings, etc) or will your team go the
ways of dinosaurs?  (I don't know if anyone can recall SOM project at IBM --
SOM was IBM's ORB --I think it is no longer supported -- sigh).

	In any case, I hope that no one is offended by my cynical questions.
For some reason, these questions blitzed me this morning, so I just core
dumped my brain on this email, partly for therapeutic reasons.  Perhaps I
need more coffee.