[omniORB] problem using gdb

Sai-Lai Lo S.Lo@uk.research.att.com
26 Aug 1999 11:27:39 +0100

I got a copy of Code Fusion this week. The package is supposed to work on
both glibc 2.0 and glibc 2.1 platforms. I'm only using it with glibc 2.0
(redhat 5.2). It works reasonably well except for a few rough edges.

For instance, the compiler fails with internal compiler error when
compiling a rather innocent looking file in omniidl2.

The debugger works in multithreaded mode.

One problem I'm currently experiencing is occasional SEGV. The debugger
points to somewhere inside ostream::flush() of the C++ std library. It
looks like 2 threads are doing flush() concurrently and this is causing the
SEGV.

This is not the first time I've seen SEGV like this. Similiar SEGVs happen
with egcs-1.1.2 and glibc-2.0. I've assumed it is a problem with egcs std
library but it looks like the same happens to Cygnus's supposedly
professional distribution.  This make me uneasy because I've always assume
that gcc or code fusion from cygnus comes with a thread-safe std library.

Sai-Lai

--
Sai-Lai Lo                                   S.Lo@uk.research.att.com
AT&T Laboratories Cambridge           WWW:   http://www.uk.research.att.com